[Paladin 40K] Rapport de la campagne

Cette rubrique sert à parler de vos parties ! C'est la rubrique maîtresse, que ce soit pour chercher des principes fondamentaux du jeu de rôle, demander de l'aide sur un jeu, discuter de notre culture ou pour partager vos coups de cœur.
Règles du forum
étiquette et esprit des rubriques générales

[Paladin 40K] Rapport de la campagne

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:35

Voici les archives de nos cinq parties avec les règles de Paladin. J'ai choisi le monde de Warhammer 40K, car nous le connaissions plutôt bien (on jouait à ce wargame avant de faire du jdr, c'est vous dire) et qu'il me fascine, par sa noirceur, sa violence... et sa stupidité (tout est exagéré, caricaturé) :D

J'ai édité un peu les messages pour ne garder que l'essentiel, mais ça reste extrêmement long comme vous pouvez le voir.
Et je n'ai pas traduit ce qui fut d'abord écrit en anglais, désolé ;)
L'idée à l'époque était de recevoir des retours de gens expérimentés (surtout l'auteur, mais je n'ai malheureusement pas eu cet honneur).
Quand le titre est assorti d'un lien, c'est que ça mène sur le topic originel sur la Forge.

Dernière édition par Christoph le 21 Avr 2006, 01:58, édité 2 fois.
Innommable: hurlez.
Zombie Cinema, en français dans le texte.
Christoph
modo-admin

Message(s) : 2949

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:36

#0: Game preparation

Fundamental points
Play characters serving an ideology, frequently (constantly?) confronted with moral conflicts, and having to reach decisions about them.
To make it easier, the ideology isn't quite nice by RW standards, even if it has its reasons.
The system will reflect the moral conflict in the mechanical aspects as well.

So I decided on using the Paladin mechanics with just a few modifications:
Faith vs. Heresy: The terms that replace Light and Dark Animus. Faith represents the Grey Knight's point of view on the Emperor's cult. Heresy is deviance of those views (but one could be heretic and still fight for the people of the empire, of course). This is not a universal energy that lives in all things. It's a way more abstract and relative concept, but characters still derive strength from it. I've even thought of alternative dualisms for some alien races (the Eldar for example would work on something like Balance vs Excess), but that will be introduced only at a later stage, when the limits of Faith will have been explored to a certain degree.
Firearms: The attacker is always Active, and rolls against a difficulty, based on distance and visibility, assigned by the GM. If this is succesful, the victim rolls Reactive Flesh against a fixed difficulty depending on the weapon. Wounding then follows standard resolution.
Psy-powers: Characters can only perform downright supernatural actions it they've got the psy-power on their character sheet (bought like an ability, but activated through Faith or Heresy points). Examples: Psychic Assault, Holocaust, Shrouding...

Creating the Setting

Backdrop
I had wanted to run a game in the Warhammer 40'000 universe since ages. I now had a perfect reason to do this: a fucked up world, where no one could just sit back and live. Characters must do something for humanity to survive. At terrible costs sometimes (even outright over the top, but at least there are easy to identify concepts at work).
For those who don't know the setting to this table-top wargame, here's the general idea, perhaps a bit bended to my tastes:
Humans in the far 41st millenium have expanded across the universe under the lead of the Emperor. His body was slain in an epic battle against the forces of Chaos (beings from the parallel universe which basically just seek to feed of humans) but his remains where placed in a huge Throne in his palace, and his spirit is still supposed to communicate with the officials who run the Empire in his name.

Organization, Faith and Charter
The demonic hordes of the four aspects of Chaos (Khorne: sheer physical violence, Nurgle: illness and decay, Tzeentch: magic, Slaanesh: perversion) relentlessly try to infiltrate, assault, manipulate and corrupt humanity. Their primary means is posession of heretic cult members.
The Grey Knights order is the main fighting unit of the Empire against this danger. They must keep secret the existence of demons: the fear or greed of humans would litteraly open portals for those beings.
The PCs are such Grey Knights. Basically these guys are bio-engineered and fanatical warriors equiped with powerful combat suits and demon-hunting blades.
In the official W40K setting, these guys are just about fearless, undoubting, emotionless killers. Their faith and devotion to the Emperor is second to none. I slightly loosened it up, to allow for the decision making situations to occur.

Code
I understand this is a rather big code by Paladin standards, but I wanted to portray the Grey Knights as closely as possible. I hope it makes sense in the Paladin point of view as well.
The Word of the Emperor is a pretty large concept: the commands, beliefs and military/religious hierarchy of the order. I admit that the term doen't really fit. I could have broken this down into more laws, but I think they wouldn't occur in-game often enough to be worth the bother. One thing for instance would be assault on superiors: the game does not focus enough on political intrigues for this to be a worthwile law. If a PC does murder an Inquisitor for example, I'll just have them check off the "You will not refuse the Word of the Emperor" law, or even have them excommunicated from the order.

Minor Laws
- You will not doubt the Word of the Emperor.
- You will question the suspects [of demonic posession or heretic views].
- You will not linger in applying your sentences. [I suspect that this one is going to be redundant with the next law... I felt I had to have more Minor Laws than Major Laws and thought that this would incite players to make order-compatible decisions. But it doesn't really bring up a moral issue by itself.]
- You will show no emotions or weakness.

Major Laws
- You will not question the Word of the Emperor.
- Innocence proves nothing [rather kill an innocent than to let an open acces point for demons].
- You shall not heed demons' and heretics' words.

Ultimate Laws
- You will not refuse the Word of the Emperor.
- You will destroy all demons and heretics.

Arms
I didn't quite follow the Paladin guidelines.
The Holy scripture: This is what symbolizes the Grey Knight's commitment. It is usually worn on the armor's breastplate. No mechanical effects.
The Nemesis blade: This is the Grey Knight's symbol of power. A sword denotes the justice-bringing aspect, a hallberd the empire-protecting one. 1 die for combat. 3 dice if the enemy is a demon or heretic psyker [powerful heretics usually have access to demonic gifts in the form of psy-powers].
The Terminator armor: This is the Grey Knight's symbol of the protective virtues of the faith in the emperor-god. Adds 2 dice to combat (also against firearms). Allows breathing in all environments, night-vision and teleportation. 2 dice penalty on most athletic rolls.
Storm bolter: This is what you shoot your enemies with. 1 die for ranged combat. Range: 100m. Number of "wounding successes in case of hit": 4

Power
Grey Knights are capable of incredible physical resistance and devastating blows.
In addition, some Grey Knights master pychic powers. (Each power costs one ability).
Some special equipement is also at disposal. (Each special equipement costs one ability).
Dernière édition par Christoph le 31 Jan 2006, 23:39, édité 1 fois.
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:37

#0.5: Character generation

Frater Sinistralis, played by Gaétan
A sly character in doubt about the order, with a pretty egocentric view on things in general. As such, started the game with 5 Faith points and 1 Heresy point.

Attributes (active, reactive, social)
Flesh: Strength 3, Robustness 3, Viciousness 3
Faith: Cleverness 3, Stoicism 1, Brutality 2
Heresy: Detachment 1, Rebel , Perfidy 1

Abilities
Arms
Psy-cannon (Special equipment: 300m range, doubles margin of success against demons and heretic psykers)
Mental Submission (Psy-power: for 2 Faith/Heresy points, allows to roll Social vs Social. Margin dictates degree of mental influence exerted (not clearly defined))

Soft Spot
Parents killed by Grey Knights because they had witnessed a demonic attack. Managed to hide and then join the Grey Knights, with the intention to seek vengeance against the particular officer who ordered them killed. As he was otherwise a promising novice, the superiors just erased corresponding parts of his mind. Or so they thought.

Kicker
Recently discovered that the order where responsible for his parents' death. [This didn't really work out, as it was actually quite unrealistic in regard with how the order works. We will refine that point.]

Frater Solfatis, played by Jérôme
A mysterious character that prefers to keep to himself. Doesn't think much about trust in his colleagues. Started play with 5 Faith and 1 Heresy.

Flesh: Endurance 4, Insensitive 3, Intriguing 2
Faith: Persevering 3, Determined 2, Convinced 1
Heresy: Independance 1, Rage 1, Arrogance 1

Abilities
Arms
Run
Holocauste (Psy-power: For 2 Faith/Heresy points roll 4 dice (additional dice can be bought on a 1:1 basis). In a radius of (half number of successes) meters, a burst of flames consumes every non-GK who must resist against a difficulty of (number of successes) or take damage as Winner Active / Looser Reactive)

Soft Spot
Has been betrayed by friends. Might not always trust his brothers.

Kicker
Another GK squad is being heard in court for heresy. Amongst those Knights is one of his only friends.

Frater Trieste, played by Julien
The spiritual leader of the team. Could be considered as a chaplain. Started with 6 Faith and 0 Heresy points.

Flesh: Quicknesse 3, Insensitive 3, Frightening 3
Faith: Uncompromising 3, Steadfast 2, Convincing 1
Heresy: Impulsive 1, Opportunist 0, Self-confidence 2

Abilities
Arms
Leadership
Emperor's Standard (Special Equipment: In group combat, grants one bonus dice to the group's pool)

Soft spot
Fear of being rejected, excluded.

Kicker
A very interesting relic has been found at [to be determined].

Frater Nis, played by Thomas
A straightforward warrior, who will follow the Code strictly in order to go up in the hierarchy. Started off with 6 Faith and 0 Heresy points.

Flesh: Strength 5, (he just takes the blows... can't find a proper word for that) 3, Impressive 1
Faith: Devotion 2, Unwavering 3, Harsh 1
Heresy: Ambition 1, Overreactiveness 1, Confident 1

Abilities
Arms
Run
Shield (Special equipement: +1 die in hand to hand combat and to resist ranged weapons)

Soft spot
Deep inside himself, he believes he deserves more recognition from his superiors.

Kicker
A superior's position has become vacant since the hearing of Frater Solfatis's friend's squad.

Rules modification
When shooting a firearm, one can add the margin of success up to one time the weapon's "strength" (the difficulty level to resist against it's projectiles), effectively doubling it's effectiveness in some cases.
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:41

#1: Khorne, assault on Ogronov IV

Initial situation
The 4 PCs (Fratris Nis, Sinistralis, Solfatis and Trieste) are in the command squad led by Frater Caligula (a rather passive NPC, takes decisions as decided by the players, used by me to introduce a few things) boarding the warpship towards their destination. 3 other five-men squads accompany them.
The briefing is accessible through the Terminator armor's HUD:
    - Land on Ogronov IV
    - Meet and join forces with the last Imperial Guard platoon defending the last undestroyed fortress in the 10 year war (120 men, amongst which one Commander and one Commissar, 4 artillery pieces)
    - Defeat the demonic menace
    - Protect the relic of St-Triphon kept in the heart of the fortress at all costs
    - Report back at HQ

Here I used a crossfading from gregorian chants while embarking the vessel to an oppressing mix of radio noise and distorted radio messages (by Folkstorm, first track of "For the Love of Hate") to represent the voyage in the warp, where physical structures loose their coherence. This really captured the players attention.

At the fortress
The demons still siege far from sight, so the I.G. Commander presents his platoon to the Grey Knights. Whilst inspecting the troops, commander talking with Frater Caligula, a soldier throws himself at Frater Solfatis's feet and basically has a nervous breakdown, imploring for help. He suddenly stops crying when he feels the Commissar's gun against his temple. The dark figure asks:
"Frater, do you wish to execute this man personnaly?"
"No."
Soldier drops dead to the floor and is brought out by two others.

First opportunity for a player to have a say. He didn't hesitate long though. His character could very well have shot the man himself (I would have granted a Faith point for that) or told the Comissar to spare the man (one Heresy point for that, with no other consequences).

Soon after that, the alarm is rung across the fortress, everybody scrambles to combat position.

The demons approach
The demonic horde of Khorne (whose major demons have Heretic attributes of Brutality, Violence and Hate) approaches from all four directions, each being comprised of about thirty flesh hounds, followed by twenty bloodletters, five demon princes and, on one side only: a Bloodthirster.
Here, the players took decisions for defending the fortress, although the orders where actually issued by Frater Caligula and the platoon Commander.
The Bloodthirster bellows out towards the humans:
"Leave now and we will let you flee!"
Of course this proposal is met by a flat denial.
"Whoever will cry out the name of Khorne during battle will be spared, others will die in painful agony!"
Whereupon the charge commences.
This of course was not a very effective bang, since accepting any of those terms would have been considered as highest Heresy.

Music used here was a chaotic noise and slow, pounding rythm, with some kind of screaming that was sufficiently distorted to sound like a good old demonic voice (courtesy of Folkstorm yet again, track n°2). Very impressive as well.

Onslaught!
We played out the battle on one side of the fortress, accompanied by tunes from the album Panzer Division Marduk (by Marduk). It was a way too lengthy battle, but I'm proud to see that the players now already make better tactical decisions in regards to the Paladin system than I!
A bit of shooting, a heroic plunge down the 10m high fortress wall to meet the hounds in hand to hand combat.
Only Frater Sinistralis stays on the wall to lob powerful shots of his Psy-cannon at the approaching enemies. Already this causes a bit of tension amongst the squad...
This allowed him to witness the courageous efforts of Sergeant Kahn and his men and how the Sgt tended to his men and gave sensible orders to save the most lives. One soldier did surrender to Khorne right in front of him, only to die seconds after under the shots of his cannon.
As the battle raged on, the demons came closer and closer to the walls and the Bloodthirster and his demon princes tore an opening through the wall, then rushing straight for the inner building and smashind down some walls.
A head on attack at a cost of nearly 20 Faith points total quickly brought down the Bloodthirster, although Caligula nearly died (if Thomas wanted, he could have had Frater Nis secretly kill off his superior, in the hope of taking his place, but he refused to do so).
The Symphony of the New World by Antonin Dvorak greeted the demise of the Bloodthirster and the rejoicing of the defenders.

We're still a bit lame on combat descriptions, but that's also because it really lasted way too long. (My first mistake)
I got the players to listen to black metal music and they enjoyed it (in any other situation, they would sooner throw the record player out the window than let my try to hit the play button).
Another mystake on my side was the lack of description. They where so scarce that Gaétan thought the fortress walls where way higher than what the others thought. Although he could have asked for more detail, I should give more thought to my descriptions.

The aftermath
The fortress is devastated and cannot resist another assault (although this was the last demonic horde on the planet, according to imperial intelligence).
Only about 30 IG troops remain (the commander and comissar where gobbled up by the Bloodthirster), whereas only two Grey Knights died. Amongst the survivors, Sergeant Kahn, showing great devotion towards the wounded and the imperial cause.
Alas, Grey Knight policy demands that no humans who witnessed demonic beings should survive, as they are supposed to be more prone to demonic posession in the future and might spread unsettling rumors amongst the population...
Frater Trieste has all the imperial guards assemble in a hall, for a "speech to thank them". Yeah right. The Grey Knights open fire after just a few words. Frater Trieste laughs sadistically (minor law breach for showing emotion (I always ask for confirmation before letting a character do such things)), Frater Sinistralis refuses to shoot (minor law breach as well, although it probably should have been major, for questionning the Word of the Emperor, then again, no one blamed him for not wasting his psy canon shots). Fratris Nis and Solfatis gain 1 faith point for respecting the Word of the Emperor.
Should I have given out heftier chunks of Faith and Heresy points? I think so, because most points where gained and used in combat. Although this was a combat-heavy session, I don't want to play as much combat-focused anymore.

I should have used Sergeant Kahn once more, even just to describe his surprised look. This would really have given the players some food for thought.
I only told the players that some men where a bit nervous at the sight of the 18 GK. I missed a nice opportunity :-(

What about the relic?
The command squad then proceeds to have a look at the relic. Something must be done, but the orders are very vague.
Coming into the room, the characters immediately sense a slight taint emanating from the otherwise holy relic. It seems as if the demonic presence over the last ten years corrupted it!
The players start arguing about what should be done. They definitly don't want to leave it there, it's too risky.
But should they destroy it or bring it back? Frater Nis wanted to have it destroyed. Frater Solfatis was at first unsure, but quickly decided it was the most sensible solution. Farter Trieste wanted to bring it back at first, but eventually gave up. Frater Sinistralis almost came to hands with Frater Nis, interpreting the order "Protect the relic" in a strict sense (he also suspected that this taint was actually what interested his superiors: "fight demons with demons"... dangerously heretic, but he kept it for himself), he backed up when Frater Caligula supported Fratris Nis and Solfatis (it was getting late...)
So the relic was destroyed, and with it the holy-but-tainted aura. The shards will be taken back to the monastery-fortress of Titan.
I gave no Faith nor Heresy points here, as I hadn't precisely decided what to do about the relic in the future yet. I'll give it to them when their superiors do the debriefing.

And that's where we ended the session.

While waiting for the next session
We have agreed that next session will begin in the warpship. Gaétan will have the opportunity to play out a little flash-back, as we afterwards decided that his kicker was set off during the shooting of the IG.
Thomas proposed to write a report of the mission, in the name of Frater Caligula. I immediatly accepted. I allowed him to introduce some hooks for his character. I'm eagerly waiting to read this report.

General comments
    - I do not have enough dice to play Paladin without slowing down the game
    - Demons where minimistically statted out. Number of dice for running, number of dice in combat, number of dice for resistance. The big demons could activate their heresy attributes and spend a few points, but I often adjusted things on the fly to accelerate combat or make it slightly more interesting.
    - Group combat was most effective at about 3 members a group
    - Faith points where handed out for jumping down the fortress walls and engaging dangerous melee situations, as well as killing off demons (1 point for the hounds and bloodletters (7 and 9 combat dice respectively), 2 for demon princes (11 dice, reroll of 1s) and 10 for the bloodthirster (14 dice, reroll of 1, 2 and 3, a couple of Heresy points and "double hit points")
    - No player used Heresy points, final scores (F/H): Nis 13/0, Sinistralis 6/3, Solfatis 5/1, Trieste 3/2 (he gave out the most against the Bloodthirster, something like 12-15 points at once!). Since they all are more or less wounded, this will go down a bit yet.
    - The campaign will take on a more political aspect
    - Sometimes the players forget that character and player are different, but that is probably due to old habits. I will adress this before begining next game.
    - I will continue to play music at key scenes. It does not make up for my lack of description, but nicely enhances the mood
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:44

We left combat behind and delved into some more "political" complications.

One new player joined (PC: Divicos). One player was out (PC: Sinistralis).
Divicos is oriented towards psi-powers. He seeks to further his power over all things.
Soft spot: he will go as far as to use the power of chaos against chaos itself (which is a huge blasphemy).
Kicker: a superior contacts him, concerning the use of chaos-relics for the combat against the demons.

#2: Nurgle, the cleansing of Berenice

Begining situation (dealings with the order)
Basically, this is an introduction to two new NPCs (superiors).
One is blatantly eager about using tainted relics to fight demons, and scolds the PCs for the destruction of the Ogronov IV relic. The other one understands that the PCs did their best.
Frater Nis sides with the "nice" guy later on (who speaks of a possible advancement for Nis...), whereas Frater Divicos seems intent on working a bit with the "dark" one.
Frater Solfatis is called to the defense of his two comrades that are accused of Heresy (manipulation of a tainted relic). All he can do is to talk about them in a positive way. The one accusing those is our dark superior, Pater Aurelis-Fidelis. (How can he accuse someone of something the PCs know he desperetaly tries to do? And this is also the guy who contacted Divicos...)

The mission
The PCs are to investigate a mysterious epidemy of pest in the part of the slums of a huge city named Berenice. It is especially lethal, and nothing can be done against it. Except that some people said to be chaos cultists seem to resist.

When the PCs arrive it is quite obvious that nothing is done by the Imperium to help the poor. The local priest locked himself up in his church, so as to keep out the pest.
They investigate a bit, see that little demons are spreading the pest and then meet with some locals who chase those demons.

These locals are heavily infected, but still they act as healthy people would. They are suprised at the sight of the massive Grey Knights, but they soon understand that they both fight for the Emperor. The players at this point are a bit uneasy. Are they really the cultists they have to execute? They're helping their community after all, and in the name of the Emperor!

They decide to follow them to their leader, who turns out to be another priest who took to the underground to better fight off the demons, who he says not only corrupt people physically, but also in their hearts (the survivors on the surface all scavenging for themselves instead of fighting the demons together, etc.)
This priest has heard the Emperor himself in his dreams, and learned a blessing from him to resist the illness. This blessing is bestowed once in a ritual, to which the PCs are invited.
This guy might be nice, but he definetly is a heretic, according to the players. It all looks like he is manipulated by the forces of Nurgle (disease, decay, etc.)

They ask him to gather all his disciples, so that they may organise a plan all toghether (at this point, it is almost clear that they will execute them at that point). Here I asked for a Social vs Social check, so as to bluff the priest. One Faith point was spent and they succeeded well.

In the meantime, Solfatis and Divicos go back to the surface, to check if the heretic really was a priest. They stumble upon a little girl, free from disease, who asks them if they had seen her dad.
The players go like "Ahh, cute". Divicos says he can't help her, but she follows and tries to grab his hand. He takes it! The player just couldn't break her heart :) (And this is where I should have used the Code, but forgot...)

After that, the PCs are back in the underground. They know they deal with a genuine priest, so they're not quite sure what to do. They're ready to let a hail of fire loose as soon as they get confirmation that the priest is corrupted. And yes of course, he is tainted, the ceremony of the blessing clearly shows it.
So they burn down the place, but not before the priest got to yell something like: "Your old ways will never save humanity!"
Frater Nis mocks him and beheads him.
The player get 7 Faith points each. All of them are disgusted to be rewarded in this way, just for doing what they where told.

Finally, they take off, and bombard the whole area to make sure the demons are vanquished.
A sad little girl watching the sky as the sound of falling bombs gets louder and louder ends this session...
(None of the players where especially proud at this point, one going as far as jokingly saying "Come on, you can't do that!".)
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:47

#3: Tzeentch, or Nobody is utterly evil

Before play

Before all players were ready, we played out Frater Sinistralis' questioning, since he had refused to shoot the guards in mission #1.
We had decided after that game, that his kicker actually only appeared while witnessing the shooting (his parents had been shot by Pater Hieronimus-Pons and what was supposed to be an erased memory comes back).
After the mission, Pater Hieronimus-Pons, demanded that he stayed some more. He then abruptly asks why Sinistralis did not shoot.
At first, the player decides to have his character lie, but the Social roll isn't good enough. So Pater Hieronimus-Pons explains how he thinks the order is walking down the wrong path, and that he is confident that Frater Sinistralis could be of some help in reforming the order. Visibly, H-P doesn't know that he was the murderer of Sinistralis's parents. But he might have changed...

At the main base, Titan

This time, the players brought back the relic from last mission. Pater Aurelis-Fidelis was mighty happy about this, and showed it. At this point, it was clear that he was a heretic all the way.
Frater Divicos (who decided to take heresy points for taking the girl's hand in last game) was promised help to become an Archivist (a respectable position in the order for all things psychic) if he kept on bringing back more corrupted relics. At this point, we agreed that this was an Unbreakable Law breach, for refusing the Word of the Emperor (clearly working with demonic material). The player immediately spends his Heresy points to increase a few attributes.
Frater Solfatis inquired about his friends who were in trial. Pater Hieronimus-Pons responds that he cannot do anything. He says that Pater Aurelius-Fidelis is taking huge risks, and he hopes that if Solfatis' friends are wrongly punished, then Pater A-F will be easy to take down. In the meanwhile, with his strong connection to the Master Archivist and the relics brought back, A-F is getting really powerful...
Frater Nis is applauded for his good job at executing the heretic priest of Berenice. He is offered a higher grade, if the next mission works out.

Tzeentch is lurking

New mission:
- Execute the Governor of Farouk El Emir, for worship of chaos gods
- Investigate all connections and punish appropriately
- Bring back any relic

Because of a storm in the warp, they arrive 53 years before planned! So the governor they will meet is another one, and their target is maybe not even born yet. This one is suspected of having launched the cult though.
The planet had called for help because of an extreme volcanic activity cluttering the whole atmosphere. Agriculture had become impossible and people where dying of lung illnesses. In ten years, the Imperium had done nothing about it, even though they had the technology to help.
The governor is growing so desperate that he is planning to strike a deal with a demon. He is ready to grant him access to the volcanoes, from which the demon will draw energy to summon a horde to invade the Empire. The absorbed energy is supposed to calm down the volcanoes, and the demon agrees to leave this one planet alone.
The governor has yet to meet the demon, who is summoned by some lesser noble who will arrive soon at the palace.

This is when the characters arrive. At this point, some players think that they might solve the problems in a nicer way than last time. They arrived before it was too late... Seeing the ecological catastrophe, they inquire if they can investigate it at the source, saying they are sent by the Imperium to find a solution to the problem. They quickly learn from geologists working around the volcanoes that they could quite easily calm nature's fury with an intelligent use of their starship's onboard weaponry.

The characters are invited by the governor to a ball. Only Frater Trieste declines the invitation.
At the ball, the characters start to talk to various people. Frater Divicos talks to an elder lady who looks exactly like the one he accidently killed last mission, and she also gives a similar atheist analysis of the situation. The player is really wondering what's happening here.
Another character flirts with some hot chick, and goes as far as to have an affair. He learns from the woman who has slept with some quie important people, that "the governor is preparing an alliance with some lord of tzeentch or something"! The character literally jumps out of bed and runs to find his comrades. All this fooling around with the girl earned him his first Mark (for "showing emotions or weaknesses"). We still need to talk about the difformity.
During that time, Frater Trieste decides to visit the governors appartements while he is at the ball. He ignores the guards' orders to keep out, and just walks past them. They ring the alarm, and a whole squad of guards appears, some are weilding plasma weapons which can pose a threat even to Terminator armors. They ask the Grey Knight to back away again. Trieste thinks this is getting ridiculous and just runs off in the opposite direction, towards a closed door. The guards react by shooting at him. He smashes through the door and then fires back, killing a guard.
By the time, the other characters have been alerted and run up the stairs to check out what's happening. The governor, the chief of the guard and a noble (he actually is posessed by the demon, which is only waiting for a moment to posess the governor) are already there, trying to understand what is happening (Trieste is hiding in the library and has stopped shooting).
Frater Nis shows some nice leadership skills and manages to calm down Frater Trieste and apologizes to the governor. At this point the other PCs go back to their apartments and don their armor (that's when they meet the party's Don Juan, who doesn't immediately reveal his vital piece of information).
When they come back up, the demon is a bit startled. He quickly casts a spell wich sends everyone's mind except Frater Solfatis's into a labyrinth of mirors, where each character is alone and confronted with their soft spot. Each player does a nice job of portraying their characters fears or weakness. In the meantime, the demon swaps bodies for the governor's and runs off towards a window, already sprouting wings from his back. Solfatis runs after him, storm bolter blazing. He fires round after round out the window at the vanishing figure, giving in to his rage (the player chose to activate a Heretic attribute to reroll, although he could have used any other Faith attribute!)
As soon as the other Fratris escape the spirutal maze, they execute all witnesses of this demonic activity and hunt down the demon (this reaps some nice Faith points...).
Frater Trieste acquired a new psionic power to localize demons from afar, and thus they easily found the posessed governor and brought him down in a massive hail of gunfire.

Then they nearly fought over the demon's wand. Divicos wanted to bring it back in one piece, but the others prefered to destroy it, knowing that Pater Aurelius-Fidelis was up to no good. Divicos reluctantly gives in and the wand is sundered. I do not know if I should award the characters with Faith points for destroying the cursed item, or hand out some Heresy points for refusing an order (but it is quite clear that the order comes from a Heretic...) Any advice?
They then teleport back to the ship and decide to bomb the palace and the volcanoes (which is supposed to stop the terrible volcanic activity, and they hope that in 53 years, the new governor won't have to call on the help of Tzeentch to save his planet).

[edit: le message d'origine parle aussi de conflits GNS entre les joueurs, mais c'est assez obscur, je vous laisse suivre le lien si c'est important pour vous :P]
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 31 Jan 2006, 23:53

La suite est en français, car je n'ai pas (encore) posté sur le Forge. Je pense faire un combo 4&5 et discuter un peu des mécanismes (ce que je fais également dans le post de présentation sur le forum).

#4: Slaanesh, ou "ca se met en place"

Ce qui s'est passé dans l'histoire

Pater Aurelius-Fidelis constate calmement que le bâton de Tzeentch lui est ramené dans un sale état. Peu après, Frater Divicos reçoit une missive cassante: "Je n'ai plus besoin de vos services." signé Pater Aurelius-Fidelis.

Frater Nis se voit proposer la fonction de Scribe auprès de Pater Hieronimus-Pons, il passera les prochains jours auprès du Pater pour une "formation".

Peu après, l'on découvre les navigateurs du vaisseau des PJ pour la mission sur Farouk al-Emir assassinés. Le Judicator Jonas-Tiberius est sur l'affaire.

Le chapelain Frater Trieste est mandé en toute urgence pour administrer l'Extrême Onction à un vieil ami, l'archiviste Frater Christo. Celui-ci est mourrant et lui confie que c'est lui l'assassin des navigateurs. Pater Aurelius-Fidelis l'aurait forcé à le faire puis l'aurait empoisonné [peu de poisons vienent à bout d'un Chevalier Gris, faut vraiment vouloir]. Après une dernière prière de pardon, il expire.

Frater Divicos décide d'utiliser les informations sensibles qu'il a récupérées lors de ses entretiens avec Pater Aurelius-Fidelis pour, conjointement avec cette révélation de Frater Christo faire péter le procès des Fratris Recrusio et Cornelius.

Juste au moment où Judicator Elroy-Patrisius allait clore la période de "dernières preuves avant la sentence", Trieste et Divicos font irruption avec leurs informations. Scandale général dans la salle! L'Inquisiteur Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex demande à ce qu'on fasse venir Pater Aurelius-Fidelis, mais celui-ci est parti en mission...
Le Judicator n'a de choix que d'ajourner le procès pendant que seront expertisés les preuves amenées par les PJ.

Après consultation des derniers départs de l'astroport, l'on découvre que Pater Aurelius-Fidelis s'est envolé avec une petite escorte pour Tanaari, petite planète au-delà des Marches Orientales (donc en dehors de l'Empire). Cet ancien monde eldar est aujourd'hui habité par une peuplade humaine primitive.

Les PJ vont voir l'Inquisiteur B-E Pontifex, qui est en charge de l'opération "Reliques". Il leur délivre un mandat de réquisition de toute relique sur cette planète, vu que Pater Aurelius-Fidelis n'est visiblement plus très fiable.

En arrivant en orbite autour de la planète, un vaisseau Eldar les hèle. Le Grand Prophète El'drakhan les salue et demande qu'ils s'identifient. Il leur explique qu'il collabore avec Pater Aurelius-Fidelis pour l'extraction d'une épée démoniaque qui aurait été fichée dans la Pierre Esprit du monde il y plusieurs millénaires. Il espère pouvoir ensuite récupérer les âmes eldars survivantes contenues dans la pierre et laissera l'épée aux soins de l'Inquisition, dont il reconnaît l'efficacité contre la lutte anti-démoniaque.

Débarquement sur la planète, à proximité des ruines donnant sur les catacombes où se trouve la Pierre-Esprit.
En même temps se déroule une fête des autochtones, tout près des ruines.
Dans un grand cercle de pierre ils ont érigé un grand feu, autour ils ont disposé des tables avec moulte nourriture.
Ils expliquent que c'est ce soir que leur Mère va connaître son époux pour l'année à venir. C'est la fête la plus importante et tout le monde y participe. Les PJ sont invités également, et comme ils soupçonnent de l'Hérésie, ils acceptent.

Une grande danse rituelle est entamée par les autochtones, accompagnée d'une musique hypnotisante. Peu à peu, le feu du brasier vire du jaune-orange au blanc rosé et la forme d'une magnifique femme, nue et recroquevillée apparaît du coeur du feu en tournoyant lentement et s'élevant dans la colonne de flammes. Son "épou" s'approche des flammes et ils se répondent d'un chant mystique, avant qu'il ne s'élance dans le feu, dans ses bras.
S'ensuit une orige généralisée parmi les indigènes, alors que les deux copulent allégrement dans les flammes, avant de devenir de plus en plus transparents jusqu'à disparaître.
Frater Trieste ressent là une influence démoniaque très forte, sous le signe de Slaanesh.
La fête continue, mais les PJ en ont assez vu et se précipitent dans les ruines, soupçonnant un lien entre ceci et l'activité de Pater A-F.

En arrivant dans les sous-sols, ils rencontrent deux autres Chevaliers Gris qui remontaient justement. Ils ont reçu l'ordre de quitter les lieux de la part d'A-F...

Les PJ se précipitent plus loin jusqu'à arriver dans la grande salle où réside la Pierre-Esprit fissurée qui pulse d'une couleur rouge-violette malsaine. Le Pater Sombre est en transe devant la face de la pierre où est enfichée l'épée démoniaque. Puis il se saisit de l'épée et la retire doucement. Immédiatement, la lame à la forme changeante, noire et énorme semble s'emparer d'Aurelius-Fidelis, en propageant une mutation noire et chaotique à travers tout son corps.

Aurelius-Fidelis remarque la présence des PJ, rit à gorge déployée et leur propose de rejoindre ses côtés ou de mourrir sous les coups de son épée.
Un combat terrible s'ensuit, au cours duquel certains PJ sont blessés, mais la Foi se montre plus forte et le Pater Déchu est vaincu, et proprement démembré.
La Pierre-Esprit reprend une allure plus douce.

Avec toutes les précautions nécessaires, l'on isole l'artefact dans un conteneur sacré puis on l'achemine dans le vaisseau.
Le Grand Prophète demande aux Chevaliers Gris de lui laisser deux mois pour récupérer les âmes eldars.
Ceci ne pose aucun problème aux PJ, qui se contentent de placer une bombe à retardement à grand rayon d'action dans le but de balayer ce peuple impie qui révère une fausse divinité.

Retour à la base de Titan.

Ce qui s'est passé autour de la table

La partie s'est déroulée sans anicroches, mais j'ai merdé pour les règles concernant la Foi et l'Hérésie (personne n'a reçu de points de Foi).

Nous avons constaté que le combat est bizarre et surtout que le tir est beaucoup trop puissant (bon ça c'est une de mes propres règles...) Je vais nerfer ça pour la prochaine fois.
Bref, malgré de bonnes idées, je trouve que le système est un peu boîteux et pénible à gérer (trop stricte et trop tranché sur ce qui est du Code, aspect qui est bien plus subtile et flou que ne le transcrivent les règles).

Il me semble que la scène au tribunal a bien plu, tout le monde était motivé à provoquer le scandale et mettre du sable dans les rouages de la justice (corrompue?) de l'Ordre. Mention spéciale aux effets sonores pour rendre l'audience choquée =D

La scène du rituel indigène semble avoir bien captivé les joueurs. Personne n'a interrompu le rituel. Ca tombait bien, c'était sensé être quelque chose d'hypnotisant par sa beauté étrange. Néanmoins, ça n'avait un peu rien à voir avec le reste de l'histoire... faudra que je pense à ça par la suite :P
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Christoph » 01 Fév 2006, 00:09

#5: Apocalypse, le dénouement

Ce qui s'est passé dans l'histoire

Frater Nis avait la dernière fois pour mission de faire un rapport sur une expérience secrète: la première femme Chevalier Gris, Soror Eva, ou Frater Adamus pour les missives officielles.
Pater Hieronimus-Pons voulait savoir s'il était possible d'intégrer la demoiselle dans l'ordre. Pour l'instant, seuls quelques Inquisiteurs (dont celui qui avait organisé toutes les manipulations génétiques) et lui étaient au courant de son existence.
Frater Nis et Soror Eva tombent amoureux et "s'épousent"!
Fatigué de la corruption et des intrigues sournoises à tous les échellons de l'Ordre, Frater Nis se remet en question.

Les quatres autres Fratris font leur débriefing à Pater Hieronimus-Pons et Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex. Il est décidé de garder le plus secret possible la mort de Pater Aurelius-Fidelis, pour éviter un scandale avant que tout son réseau d'aides (s'il existe) soit débusqué.
Une mission signée du Haut-Inquisiteur en personne demande aux cinq PJ de mener l'enquête.
L'Inquisitor garde, par méfiance envers les Archivistes, l'épée-démon dans ses quartiers personnels.

Frater Trieste reçoit par erreur une missive de Frater Nis à Pater Hieronimus-Pons parlant de l'expérience de Soror Eva.

Peu après, Frater Sinistralis, en tant que Chef des Communications Scientifiques du groupe, reçoit un plan stratégique de la Galaxie où l'on voit la Flotte-Ruche Kraken qui a subitement dévié de sa trajectoire. Alors qu'elle se dirigeait en direction de Tanaari et les Marches Orientales, elle à tout à coup fait un quart de tour, mettant le Système Solaire à 7 jours de portée!
Et le changement de cap coïncide avec la mission précédente...
L'Empire est inquiet, car il craint ne pas pouvoir mobiliser une flotte de défense suffisamment importante à temps. La forteresse de Titan s'apprête à un combat sanglant.

Fratris Recrusio et Cornelius sont libérés pour cause de non-lieu. Frater Cornelius se répand en remerciements envers Frater Solfatis et les autres PJ, alors que Frater Recrusio s'éclipse et disparaît sans un mot.

Frater Nis va voir Soror Eva en secret. Celle-ci a reçu la visite d'un Inquisitor l'avertissant malicieusement de l'imminence d'une expérience dont elle serait l'objet, sans plus de détails. Elle a peur. Malheureusement, Frater Nis ne peut faire grand chose si ce n'est la réconforter avant de repartir en mission.

L'épée-démon serait-elle la cause du revirement de la Flotte-Ruche? L'Inquisitor Britannicus est d'accord d'accompagner Fratris Divicos, Solfatis et Sinistralis à une distance suffisante dans l'espace intergalactique à bord d'un petit vaisseau, en emportant l'épée (toujours dans son container spécial) pour voir si changement de cap il y a.
Frater Sinistralis ne peut malheureusement constater aucune variation de la trajectoire de la Flotte-Ruche.

Pendant ce temps, Frater Nis décide d'aller voir ce que manigancent les Eldars de Tanaari.
Il entame une discussion avec l'arrogant et insupportable Grand Prophète Eldra'kahn, qui d'un ton mielleux réfute toute implication dans le changement de cap des Tyrannides. Le trouvant décidément trop hypocrite, Frater Nis l'empoigne violemment et le menace de tortures s'il ne parle pas immédiatement.
Sur quoi, le Grand Prophète lui avoue qu'il est "trop tard". En insistant encore un peu, Frater Nis apprend que le conseil des Prophètes d'un Vaisseau-Monde se trouvant à proximité avait vu l'arrivée de la Flotte-Ruche. En retirant l'épée-démon de cette pierre-esprit, Pater Aurelius-Fidelis laissait les Eldars libre de puiser dans l'énergie qu'elle détenait pour masquer le Vaisseau-Monde psychiquement des Tyrannides, tout en favorisant une querelle intestine à l'ordre des Chevaliers-Gris (il est bon pour les Eldars que l'Empire ne devienne pas trop fort).
En parallèle à cela, ils ont activé une balise expérimentale à l'autre bout de la Galaxie qui a pour effet d'attirer les Tyrannides. "Malheureusement" le coeur de l'Empire se trouvait sur le chemin...
Rageur, Frater Nis quitte la planète.

Pendant ce temps, l'équipe avec l'épée revient. L'Inquisitor vaque derechef à ses affaires.

Frater Solfatis n'a toujours pas de nouvelles de Frater Recrusio, malgré un appel général. Il l'annonce comme porté disparu.

Frater Trieste est appelé par le Maître Chapelain (également Inquisitor) qui s'occupe de l'inhumation de Pater Aurelius-Fidelis, pour assistance dans un rituel d'exorcisme post-mortem.
Ils constatent que la possession fut d'une intensité rare. Le Maître Chapelain glisse qu'il aurait bien aimé parler à l'Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex de cette épée, mais qu'il était malheureusement introuvable.

Frater Divicos use de son mandat d'investigation pour accéder à la chambre où est contenue l'épée-démon, malgré l'absence de l'Inquisitor. Il se met à l'étudier dans la bibliothèque des Archives, et apprend que c'est l'épée-démon la plus puissante jamais découverte et qu'elle est habitée par un démon de Slaanesh conscient.

Frater Trieste décide de s'ouvrir au Maître Chapelain concernant cette affaire de Soror Eva. Il n'en croît pas un mot, mais devant la gravité du contenu du message est d'accord d'aller vérifier dans les cachots de Titan ce qu'il en est.
Lorsque les deux religieux arrivent, la cellule est vide. Le Maître Chapelain pense à une farce grotesque, Frater Trieste pense que cela va plus loin...

Frater Solfatis apprend d'un ami que Frater Recrusio faisait partie du mouvement Thorien, dont le but est de retrouver l'esprit de l'Empereur et de le ramener dans un corps adéquat pour mener l'Empire tout entier à la gloire. Et tout le monde sait officieusement que l'Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex a des points de vues très thoriens...

Frater Nis revient à la Forteresse et se précipite dans les cachots pour voir où en est Soror Eva. Trop tard évidemment.
Le geôlier lui dit qu'une personne avec une procuration de l'Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex était venu la chercher...

Les souvenirs de l'assassinat de ses parents rongent de plus en plus le coeur de Frater Sinistralis. Il décide d'aller voir le tueur, Hieronimus-Pons...
Une conversation un peu gênée et mal à l'aise a lieu. Soit disant sur les vues de l'ordre. Hieronimus-Pons se sent un peu aggressé, n'arrive pas à voir où veut en venir Sinistralis.
C'est là que Sinistralis lui expose tout, l'accusant du meurtre de ses parents. Hieronimus-Pons, gêné essaie de relativiser, joue la carte de l'incompréhension, mais Sinistralis continue sur l'accusation.
Hieronimus-Pons: "Alors, vous êtes venus pour vous venger?"
Sinistralis: "Oui..."
Ils tirent leurs épées et s'affrontent dans un duel à la mort!
Jouant avec habileté de leurs lames, dans les bureaux du Pater, Sinistralis blesse Hieronimus-Pons au visage. Celui-ci profite d'une faille dans la garde de Sinistralis et le transperce d'un coup. Alors que Sinistralis expire:
Hieronimus-Pons: "Nous aurions pu nous apprécier..."

Cinq hommes viennent trouver Frater Divicos pour récupérer l'épée pour le compte de l'Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex. Celui-ci leur montre son ordre de mission. Ricanant, ils le déchirent...
Frater Divicos ne veut pas que l'épée-démon tombe dans les mains de l'Inquisitor, il préfère l'utiliser pour combattre l'assaut Tyrannide imminent. Il s'empare donc de l'épée et tue les cinq hommes.
La possession démoniaque s'opère, Divicos-Vonlock (le nom du démon) s'enfuit et se cache en attendant une occasion.

Frater Nis retrouve son supérieur qui le met aussitôt au courant de l'insurrection de Frater Sinistralis et de la possession de Divicos.
A l'annonce de la disparition de Soror Eva, Hieronimus-Pons en déduit que les Thoriens vont marquer leur coup: offrir le corps d'Eva pour que l'Empereur puisse s'y incarner à nouveau!

Frater Trieste et le Maître-Chapelain retrouvent Frater Nis pour l'histoire de Soror Eva. Ils amènent l'affaire devant le Haut-Inquisiteur.
Le grand dirigeant de l'ordre garde son sang-froid et demande à ce que les traîtres Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex, l'Inquisitor responsable de la formation des Chevaliers Gris ainsi que Pater Hieronimus-Pons se rendent immédiatement. Sinon ils seront exécutés.

Frater Nis court avertir son supérieur. Celui-ci pense que c'est l'occasion ou jamais d'établir un ordre nouveau. Il contacte les deux Inquisitors incriminés et organise avec eux une résistance.

Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex réapparaît avec à ses côtés Soror Eva vêtué d'une armure d'or et d'un pendentif reliquaire et dégageant un charisme d'une intensité inouïe. Tout de suite, Frater Nis voit qu'elle est changée.
L'Inquisitor fait les présentations et enjoint les Chevaliers de prêter serment à l'Empereur. Ce que bon nombre fait.
Puis, d'une voix masculine, Eva-Empereur propose de marcher sur les quartiers du Haut-Inquisiteur dans l'espoir des les rallier à sa cause.

Mais les conservateurs nient la légitimité de cet Empereur, et une bataille fratricide s'ensuit dans les hauts de la Forteresse de Titan!
Frater Nis n'arrive pas à croire que Soror Eva est perdue. Lestement, il parvient alors que le combat fait rage, à couper la chaîne du pendentif.
Celui-ci tome à terre et immédiatement Soror Eva revient à elle, bien qu'étourdie.
L'Inquisitor Britannicus-Elmar Pontifex ne comprenant pas tant ce qui se passe se jette sur le pendentif. Ce faisant il est transpercé et dans un dernier élan il le lance à Frater Nis.
C'est là que Divicos-Vonlock émerge des ombres pour s'emparer de la relique!
Mais Fratris Solfatis, qui le traquait, s'oppose à lui avec l'aide de Frater Trieste. Les trois frères s'engagent dans une lutte terrible dont aucun ne sortira vivant. Mortellement blessé, Divicos-Vonlock jette le pendentif en direction de Frater Nis qui était en train de reculer tout en protégeant Soror Eva.
Pater Hieronimus-Pons couvre la retraite du couple.
Frater Nis lui promet de revenir pour rebatir un ordre nouveau et s'enfuit.

Profitant du chaos à la fois dans la Forteresse et dans l'espace impérial, les amoureux s'enfuient loin de tous ce chaos.

Mais était-ce vraiment l'Empereur ou seulement une entité psychique non-démoniaque se faisant passer pour tel?

Alors que la guerre contre les Tyrannides sera terminée, laissant un Empire gravement derrière elle, Frater Nis et Soror Eva reviendront-ils pour reconstruire un Ordre plus juste, et partant, un Empire meilleure?

L'histoire restera muette dorénavant et seul vous pourrez apporter votre propre réponse à cette question.

Ce qui s'est passé autour de la table

A vrai dire, nous n'avons plus trop utilisé les règles, sauf à deux trois occasions (pour le combat entre Frater Sinistralis et Pater Hieronimus-Pons, celui entre Divicos et Solfatis & Trieste, ainsi que pour octroyer des points d'Hérésie à ceux qui le méritaient (c'était en gros des bonus pour leurs coups d'éclats))

La partie n'a pas impliqué tout le monde de la même manière. Ca tient entre autres de mes compétences de maître de jeu, mais en même temps, ceux qui avaient écrit un coup de pied avaient aussi le plus de perches tendues. (Suivre le lien pour plus d'explications, avec des exemples tirés de cette campagne).
Les joueurs de Fratris Trieste et Nis sont à l'origine de Soror Eva, et le joueur de Nis en a profité pour développer à fond le détachement de l'ordre de son perso, pour des choses plus importantes.

Je crois que ce fut une partie qui a plu et je retire beaucoup d'enseignements de cette campagne. Donc tout bénéf, même si je ne pense plus utiliser Paladin par la suite.

Ce sera certainement aussi le dernier rapport autant axé sur l'histoire. En même temps, ça servait d'aide-mémoire, mais ça contient assez peu d'infos intéressantes pour le grand publique me semble-t-il.

Si vous voulez plus d'infos sur cette campagne, je suis prêt à y répondre.
Christoph
modo-admin

[Paladin] Présentation

Message par Christoph » 01 Fév 2006, 00:49

Paladin, par Clinton R. Nixon (gratuit online, il existe un livre physique payant)

Présentation

Le jeu que Thunk a présenté à Wenlock qui me l'a présenté :D
On y joue des "paladins", des défenseurs d'une idéologie "intrinsèquement bonne", contre les suppôts du mal et leurs tentations affriolantes. Se prête à toutes sortes de background.

Règles

Les personnages sont définis par un tableau de caractéristiques:
Code : Tout sélectionner
           Chair     Lumière    Ténèbre
Actif
Réactif
Social

Où les intersections sont remplies par des qualités au choix du joueur et ensuite notées selon une échelle de 1 à 5, à partir d'un certain nombre de points.
Lumière représente les traits mentaux/spirituels "positifs", Ténèbre ceux qui sont "négatifs".
Pour résoudre une action, on lance un nombre de d6 égal à la valeur inscrite pour la caractéristique Chair appropriée. Un 5 vaut une réussite, un 6 en vaut deux.
On peut ensuite relancer des dés loupés grâce aux caractéristiques de Lumière ou de Ténèbre.
Il faut battre soit un seuil de réussites fixé soit un autre lancer.

Viennent ensuite des compétences qui peuvent octroyer un dé supplémentaire (Course, Combat, Diplomatie...)

Il y a aussi un code que les Paladins doivent suivre.
Tant qu'ils suivent le code et qu'ils prennent des risques sous son service, ils gagnent des points de Lumière. En bafouant le code, on engrange des points de Ténèbre.
Ces points peuvent étre utilisées pour lancer plus de dés lors d'un test ou améliorer son perso.

On ne peut accéder à la réserve de Lumière uniquement si celle de Ténèbre est plus basse (ceci n'est pas réciproque).
La dépense d'un point de Ténèbre entraéne la perte d'un point de Lumiére.
Il est plus facile d'accumuler de la Ténèbre que de la Lumière.

Expérience personnelle

C'est le premier jeu indie auquel j'ai fait jouer. Vous trouverez ici le rapport de la campagne en cinq volets.

Voici donc mon point de vue amplement personnel sur les règles.

Je voulais faire jouer des parties où l'apport des joueurs au contenu fictif était plus haut que ce que je faisais traditionnellement. Ainsi, je les ai encouragé d'adopter une posture d'auteur (en écrivant par exemple des coups de pied).
Le jeu ne contient aucunement des indications dans ce sens, c'était donc déjà un indice que j'aurais peut-être dû choisir un autre jeu.

J'ai également gardé le scénario au minimum: situation initiale plus quelques idées à développer éventuellement.
Le jeu n'était pas particuliérement adapté à cela malheureusement. Là où MLwM induit automatiquement une structure à l'histoire quand on utilise les règles, Paladin n'a rien de ça. Ce n'est pas un problème, je m'en sortais avec la préparation que j'avais, mais finalement ce n'est pas ce que je cherche.

Sinon, la résolution s'est révélée très peu intuitive. C'est abstrait et tirer les dés sous la caractéristique "Force" pour un tir au fusil a de quoi déstabiliser son monde.
Puis la possibilité de relancer les dés est aussi assez étrange semble-t-il. Les joueurs voyaient ça comme si leur personnage était en train de rater leur geste et qu'ils se rattrappaient au dernier moment (ce qui n'est pas top quand on incarne des guerriers d'élite).
Ceci est à l'origine du thread Intention, Commencement, Exécution, Effets.

Finalement, je suis mitigé sur l'emploi du code.
Je pourrais éventuellement réutiliser certaines parties du code et des points de Foi/Hérésie (Lumière/Ténèbre). Mais je ne suis pas sûr.
Le "problème" fondamental, de mon point de vue, était que le code que j'ai écrit pour cette campagne était tout à fait détestable et stricte. Pour autant, je trouvais dur de dire que faire qqch en dehors de ce code était nécessairement hérétique.
Souvent, les personnages exprimaient des idées que je ne pouvais pas vraiment classer. Ou si je le faisais, je ramenais tout à une vision binaire.
Le PNJ Hieronimus-Pons n'était ni bon ni mauvas, bien au contraire. Je n'ai jamais géré ses points de Foi/Hérésie de façon stricte (contre Sinistralis il avait juste 4 en chair active, et 6 points, compétence arme et lame némésis standard par exemple)
Pour moi il n'était donc pas naturel d'utiliser ces points en fin de compte. La partie a trés vite pris des allures bien plus compliquées que juste Ordre vs Hérésie. Cependant, les fois où l'on m'a rappelé les points d'Hérésie étaient en général justifiées (et utile pour donner plus de chances aux joueurs de réussir leurs "rébellions").

En effet, Divicos a transgressé une loi Ultime lorsqu'il a pris l'épée-démon (et il s'est ensuite retrouvé à 20 d'Hérésie), Nis a transgressé une loi Ultime lorsqu'il a épousé Soror Eva et Sinistralis en a aussi transgressé une lorsqu'il a attaqué Hieronimus-Pons. Déjà là on a trois sortes de transgressions différentes dans leur nature me semble-t-il.
Il y avait pas mal d'Hérésie dans l'air quand méme, mais de façon trés stricte, est-ce que c'était hérétique de s'attaquer à un supérieur de l'ordre lui-méme passablement hérétique? Euh... ben je trouvais que le joueur de Frater Sinistralis méritait un avantage pour jouer l'accomplissement de son personnage, donc j'étais content de lui filer 10 points bonus à dépenser, mais Hérésie ou Foi... ça n'avait rien à voir dans le fond.

En retrospective, c'eut été plus pertinent à mes yeux d'avoir un code personnalisé par personnage-joueur et de voir l'évolution individuelle par rapport à celui-ci.

Ou peut-être de donner des points moins centrés sur la thématique fondamentale de la partie.
Après tout, le système est là pour soutenir une thématique, pas pour la simuler à la place des joueurs...
Vincent Baker parle de Fruitful Void par exemple. (Si qqn veut parler de cela, je l'invite à ouvrir un nouveau fil.)
Innommable: hurlez.
Zombie Cinema, en français dans le texte.
Christoph
modo-admin

Message par Wenlock » 01 Fév 2006, 06:35

Je lis doucement, je commentrai plus tard.
Wenlock

Message(s) : 301

Retour vers Parties